There were 8 spaces on the pilot 2019 residency, including 2 bursaries available offering free participation for those on low income. The weekend was open to women-only and all levels were welcome.
Published graphic novelists and experienced practitioners from the LDComics team: Rachael Ball, Charlotte Bailey, Lou Crosby, Wallis Eates and Nicola Streeten invited the community to join them and their special guest Corinne Pearlman, Editor in Chief at Myriad Editions for an inspiring, fun and creative weekend in the countryside.
The residency took place in a converted chapel in the beautiful Lincolnshire countryside. This informal and friendly setting gave everyone the opportunity to concentrate on their project within a small group, offering creative and professional workshops and one-to-one feedback.
- Informative and inspiring creative and professional workshops delivered by members of the LDComics team.
- One-to-one feedback on project from experienced practitioners.
- A personalised structured plan with defined targets for them to work towards to ensure projects progressed to the next stage.
- Guidance on aspects of professional development including marketing themselves and their work with clear objectives for practical application.
- The opportunity to meet and talk to Corinne Pearlman and obtain crucial tips to help them put together a brilliant Graphic novel publisher sample.
The offer included:
- A stimulating, friendly and dynamic atmosphere. We worked on our projects and read from an extensive graphic novel library.
- Expanded our knowledge of the graphic novel and our networks within the community.
- Exhilarating walks through the stunning surrounding countryside.
- Two nights en-suite accommodation at a nearby BnB http://www.hareandhoundsfulbeck.com/accommodation/
- Delicious home cooked vegetarian meals. Meals and drinks will be provided Friday evening to Sunday lunch time.
- Pick up and return to the train station (at specific times only)
It was inspiring to be amongst like-minded artists to help us take our projects from good to great!